[av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ link=” linktarget=” link_hover=” padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background=’bg_color’ background_color=” background_gradient_color1=” background_gradient_color2=” background_gradient_direction=’vertical’ src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=” mobile_breaking=” mobile_display=” av_uid=’av-2pmlc9′]
[av_heading tag=’h3′ padding=’10’ heading=’Tips and hints to quit’ color=” style=’blockquote modern-quote modern-centered’ custom_font=” size=” subheading_active=” subheading_size=’15’ custom_class=” admin_preview_bg=” av-desktop-hide=” av-medium-hide=” av-small-hide=” av-mini-hide=” av-medium-font-size-title=” av-small-font-size-title=” av-mini-font-size-title=” av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” margin=”][/av_heading]
[av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=” av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” av_uid=’av-k350j9wk’ admin_preview_bg=”]
The Great American Smokeout
- Thurs Nov 21
- Annual event sponsored by the American Cancer Society (ACS)
- event focuses on encouraging Americans to quit tobacco smoking.
- People are challenged to stop smoking for at least 24 hours assuming that their decision not to smoke will last longer, hopefully forever.
- More than 34 million people in the United States smoke cigarettes, that is about 1 in 7 adults, 14%
- 480,000 people in the US die every year from a health problem related to tobacco
- Smoking is the #1 most preventable cause of death- meaning it could have been prevented.
- In Tricounty, 17.5% of adults smoke, which is the second highest county in Utah
Immediate Benefits of quitting:
- Right away you stop creating smoke that is dangerous for your friends and family to breathe.
- Within 20 min, your blood pressure and heart rate lower.
- After 12 hours, your oxygen level increases
- After 1 day your lungs start to clear out and your sense of smell and taste improve
Methods of quitting:
- Cold turkey, abruptly dropping it- most effective but hardest
- Decreasing usage by pushing off the urge even just a couple minutes because cravings only last a couple min
- Decreasing usage by not smoking in certain locations- such as in car
- Decreasing by not smoking certain hours of the day.
- NRT, nicotine replacement therapy: patch, gum, nasal spray
- One-on-One help offered at Tricounty Health as well.
- What is the UTah Quitline number?
- Write down your reasons why you want to quit- find your motivation
- Drink lots of water
- Take it one day at a time
- Keep your mouth busy- chew gum, toothpick, mints
- Find ways to distract yourself- exercise, do a hobby, clean
- Do something to Reward yourself every day/ week you don’t smoke
- Find a support person you can talk to