- There are several different viruses that can cause hepatitis; the most common types of viral hepatitis are hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C.
- Chronic hepatitis B and hepatitis C are leading causes of liver cancer in the United States.
- Both hepatitis A and hepatitis B are preventable with safe and effective vaccines, and hepatitis C is curable with prescribed treatment.
- About 66% of people with hepatitis B are unaware of their infection and about 40% of people living with hepatitis C do not know they are infected.
- Getting tested is the only way to know if you have hepatitis A, hepatitis B or hepatitis C.
- Get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B
- Use condoms during sex
- Don’t share needles to take drugs
- Wash your hands
- Avoid using personal items of those who are infected (razors, toothbrushes, etc)