Most WIC Peer Counselors talk with new moms in the WIC clinic. They come to WIC during the regular clinic hours to visit one-on-one with new moms and help them feel more confident with breastfeeding. They may also help teach breastfeeding classes with other WIC staff or lead mom support groups.
WIC Peer Counselors give basic breastfeeding information and support like this to other moms:
- Tips for how to breastfeed comfortably, even in public
- Ways you can stay close to your baby through breastfeeding after you return to work or school
- Ideas for getting support from your family and friends
- Ways to get a good start with breastfeeding
- Tips for making plenty of breast milk for your baby
- Help with breastfeeding concerns